Changing the way we think, interact and impact each other, and helping to technologize accordingly.
In 2018 Dr Fiona Kerr founded The NeuroTech Institute (NTI) to bring together academic and applied research and industry interests, focused on translating leading edge research into practical outcomes via customised design solutions and consulting services.
NTI is a transdisciplinary group with expertise in the neurophysiology and psychology of human interaction, how this alters with technologization, leader cognition, and complex systems dynamics and adaptation.
We also work internationally with small teams of experts in neuroscience, engineering, AI and robotics, and policy, with a major aim of building flourishing human systems, and optimizing the effective design and use of AI for an efficient yet compassionate future where technology is a true enabler.
NTI’s research specialty is ideally suited to the current environment as there is increasing demand for science based clarification on human connectivity, the complex benefits of both technology and humans in specific situations including hybrid and virtual work and service settings, and building adaptive systems for emergent environments.
Applied research projects are currently being carried out in the areas of hybrid work environments, virtual leadership, digital vs F2F impacts in health and aged care, proximity and complex decision making (Defence), and ethical AI policy design.
Examples of Current Work
- Creating and Leading Adaptive Organisations (the nature and practice of emergent logic) – Dr Fiona Kerr’s thesis combines cognitive neuroscience and complex systems dynamics.
- Department of Defence Project (US Ground Vehicles Systems Centre) – A two year project to inform and improve human-autonomous teaming, including the impact of the presence of a trusted human on complex decision-making, and the neurobiological issues of human-automation interaction.
- The Neurophysiology of human touch and eye gaze and its effects on therapeutic relationships and healing: a scoping review – authors Kerr, F., Wiechula, R., Feo, R., Schultz, T. & Kitson, A. for the Joanna Briggs Institute Journal.
- Building a Human Centred Technologized Health System – the NSW regional government body
- YOP-X App Collaboration – Worked with the tech designers to match functional design to the unique requirements of the user to maximise interaction, usability and behaviour change.
- Neurophysiological Impact of touch and eye gaze on therapeutic relationships and healing: a scoping
review. Kerr, F., Wiechula, R., Feo, R., Schultz, T. & Kitson, A. Joanna Briggs Institute Journal. doi
- Wicked problem or strategic opportunity: Creating an innovation collaborative for ageing well living.
Kerr, F., Hazelton, L. (University of Adelaide), Gillin, L.M. (Swinburne University), Kitson, A. (Flinders
University) & Lindsay, N. (University of Adelaide). Paper has been accepted for publication in the
Journal of Business Strategy.
- Creative Management of Complex Systems. Co-authors are Jean-Alain Héraud (Professor Emeritus,
Université de Strasbourg, BETA-CRNS, Président de l’Association de Prospective Rhénane) and Thierry
Burger-Helmchen (Professeur, Université de Strasbourg, BETA-CNRS, France). Contract is with ISTE Ltd,
UK., book in English, with translations to be completed in French and German
- How Technology Shapes Us: Getting the best from technology and the human brain in the changing
world of CRE, 2017. Corporate Real Estate Journal 7.2, (pp 114-126). Henry Stewart Publications,
- Building Brains for Better Business: The Neurogenesis of Creativity and Innovation, 2016. International
Journal of Innovation Management.
- Operationalising Innovation: Hotwiring the creative organisation, 2015. In Roos, G. & O’Connor, A.
(Eds.), Integrating Innovation: South Australian Entrepreneurship Systems and Strategies (pp. 159-
204). University of Adelaide Press.
- Taking a Premium Quality Chocolate Making Family Business onto the e-Market – Haigh’s Chocolates,
- In Frederick, H., O’Connor, A. & Kuratko, D. (Eds.), Entrepreneurship: Theory Process and
Practice, 3rd Ed. Cengage Learning.
- It is What We Are Here For – A Tale of Inspirational Leadership, 2010 (ANZAM Conference)
- Operationalising Wisdom, 2010 (Inaugural Wisdom In Management Conference, ANU)
- Creating and leading adaptive organisations: the nature and practice of emergent logic. Thesis, 2013.